Tuesday, August 18, 2009

One of my problems with cartoon-based movies.

Thus far, we've seen a "G.I. Joe" movie and "Transformers 2: Rollin' on the Floor" "Michael Bay Learns How to Add and Subtract!" Both of these made an obscene amount of money despite the fact that they both strikingly resemble irony-free remakes of "Team America". Later on, we're going to be subjected to another damn "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie, as well as this little brain-tulip, which I saw a commercial for earlier and which inspired this post:

Never mind the insanely sh**ty CGI used on Scooby Doo here. Here's what irked me:
In twenty-five years of "Scooby Doo" reruns, the question of how Scooby and Shaggy met never once occurred to me.
Likewise, I never asked myself, "Gee, I wonder what Cobra Commander was like before he dedicated himself to supervillainry?" Or, "Why are the robots always dealing with kids named Witwicky?"
There's a decent discussion on this very subject in this article, but honestly, I'm just very bitter because the local theater has three screens each dedicated to "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers", yet they do not appear to know what a "District 9" or a "Ponyo" is. Wah.
By the way, were any of you at all aware that the stupid-looking dentist show on Nick-at-Night was produced by Michael Eisner? Cause I wasn't.