Monday, May 18, 2009

"The Mind's Eye"

Thought I'd post something to make up for several recent posts which, taken together, could easily be misinterpreted as "Trish doesn't like CGI?!"
I seem to remember that there were several "Minds Eye" video compilations of early CGI shorts when I was a kid. There was no overarching story, just a thin excuse for CGI animators to experiment and have fun. The results were often very trippy and strangely beautiful. This short is one of my favorites and I was very pleased to finally find it again. Last time I saw it was at a defunct Museum of Science exhibit on special effects:




I also seem to remember that this same exhibit featured an animated music video for an old-school rap song with the chorus, "You know what time it is? You know what time it is, you know what time it is!" YouTube has failed me... sort of. You can hear the song beginning at around the three minute, ten second mark in this highly annoying and bizarre video clip. I'm usually the person who gets to say, "oh, the name of that barely-remembered movie/book/whatever was 'XYZ'", so it's frustrating when I can't remember something. It's times like these I wish the Ask the AV Club feature over at The Onion was still around. Where the heck did it go?