Tuesday, March 20, 2012

3:20 Post Weird Disney Things Everyday! Part One

So if you were following my Twitter recently, you got a running commentary on my recent trip to Walt Disney World. For those who missed it, I will now repost everything, with a few notes in parenthesis, since it is easier.March 3

Photobucket

Riding the Magic Bus! (This was my first experience with Disney's Magical Express and it was very convenient. You have to trust Mickey and friends with your luggage once you drop it off at your home airport. But they will deliver it right to your room a little while after you arrive and it's well worth it both to not have to worry about this and to see the unintentionally hilarious promotional video and Pixie dust on the bus floor.)

Note that I just figured out wireless in this room, so there's a bit of a delay.

Photobucket

Princess and the Frog on the shores of Crescent Lake. (Any resort with a beach has a nightly event where Disney movies are shown on an outdoor screen after usually a campfire or sing-along or something.)

Photobucket

OK Disney, enough with the teasing and fix this ride already! (Seriously, this has been like five years of Dreamfinder art now? Come on already!)

Photobucket

Mickey and the gang as Reverse-Chestbursters or something...?

Photobucket

"WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME AMERICA???!!!???"

Photobucket

BTW, Duffy kinda looks like Teddy from "A.I." (see above). Now you can't un-see it.

Photobucket

A COOT OMG!!!!!

Photobucket

Horrifying man-beasts invade local breakfast buffet!

Photobucket

Look at these guts / aren't they neat? (Ariel's, the signature restaurant of the Beach Club, was closed through our entire stay for special events. On the one hand, they hosted a wedding party. On the other...)

Photobucket

View of an awesome Magnolia tree from our balcony

Photobucket

Mickey waffles! I wish there were more opportunities to messily devour a beloved childhood icon.

Photobucket

OMG STACY WTF MUST-DO DISNEY MICKEYS MAH BOY LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

Spent the first half of the day at Stormalong Bay. Spending the afternoon here.

Photobucket

"Bright-Eyes, do your trick!"

Photobucket

"SKREEEE!!! I'm actually a much bigger bird!!!"

Wait, why am I not sketching these Grackles' adorable/hilarious antics?

3.3.12 - Boat-Tailed Grackles!

Grackle drawerins
March 4

Photobucket

Small taste of the upcoming Flower and Garden fest

Photobucket

Pooh and friends in shrubbery form

Photobucket

COOTS COOTS COOTS COOTS COOTS VOOTS COORS COOTS COOST COOTS also ducks and ibis.

Photobucket

Flower and Garden Fest is gonna be awesome this year!

Photobucket

"Captain EO" = more fun 3D movie than"Avatar". Try to argue it.

Saw EO with a great crowd too. Adults around my age who were into it, kids who had never seen an older "everything pops out" 3d movie...

Mad props to the little kid in front of me who was hi-fiving the Supreme Leader through all her scenes.

Photobucket

Hadn't seen Future World at night in ages. So pretty...

Photobucket

Fish chillin' at Seabase Alpha.

Photobucket

"If I was still a restaurant, you'd be eating by now!" - the old Odyssey building.

Photobucket

Sir, thank you for letting me follow you out of the park. Keep being the most awesome person ever.

Photobucket

Oh pretty! Never seen these lights in the sidewalk before!
March 5

OK, only problem w/Teeeting at Walt Disney World is the wonky wifi in the resorts.

Like how many times do I have to "Agree" anyway? I'm in Disney, you already got me, I'll agree to everything you throw at me, what gives?

Anyway, off to Animal Kingdom today. Remember, it's Natazu. Unless you've actually been to a zoo built in the past thirty years.

Photobucket

We could f*** you up and you know it!

Photobucket

Call me a flamingo again! CALL ME A FLAMINGO AGAIN!!!

Photobucket

*Sigh...*. Dinoland...

Photobucket

Flying Trilobite I am face palming on your behalf.

Photobucket

Yeah, I won't cry if this is all plowed over in favor of Pandora Landora or whatever they call it.

(Fun -well, really the opposite of fun- fact that our awesome tour guide shared with us during Keys to the Kingdom: This probably isn't going to happen. Pandora will probably go in-between Africa and Asia, or in the space currently occupied by Camp Minnie-Mickey. Camp Minnie-Mickey, as it happens, actually was a bunch of random stuff thrown together in an empty spot so that the park could open on it's scheduled debut. Remarkably, Dinoland just looks like
a bunch of random stuff thrown together in an empty spot so that the park could open on it's scheduled debut!)

Photobucket

Dude, you should be sh**ing yourself right now...

(As it happens, I got fewer uncomfortable laughs and more confused looks than I usually do when I shouted, "Oh, sh*t, it's a dinosaur!" in cases like this. For those of you wondering why this post warrants the "things that make me do drugs" tag, it's because there may be a reason for that...)

Photobucket

So... Ran into a BAND camper here. And yes, she was an employee.

(For those of you who are blissfully unaware, BAND Camp in this context stands for "Birds Are Not Dinosaurs Camp": people who vehemently deny that birds are dinosaurs. Yeah, I know. At this point it's essentially like trying to argue that dolphins are not mammals. That's not the reason why BAND people sadden me. The reason why they sadden me is because their argument will almost invariably go a little something like this:

BAND: “BIRDS ARE NOT DINOSAURS! BECAUSE SOMETHING ABOUT COLLAGEN FIBERS AND TYRANNOSAURUS HAVING SHORT ARMS!"

Sane Person: “But if birds aren't dinosaurs, then what are they?”

BAND: “THEY ARE NOT DINOSAURS!”

Sane Person: “But… what ARE they?”

BAND: “NOT DINOSAURS!”

Sane Person: “I think your argument might be invalid.”)

Photobucket

Woahhh...

Photobucket

I'm sexy an I know it...

So I have come to the conclusion that DAK could be the best gate in all WDW. Too bad its full of humans.

Yes, family in front of me, let your youngest keep coughing on my legs and in his sister's face. (My first encounter with what I would come to call Orlando Super-Flu. Knock on wood, I don't appear to have caught it.)

Photobucket

Dear Disney's Animal Kingdom. All is forgiven. Thank you for this. <3 always, Trish

Photobucket

Love Gerenuk! So graceful. I should use these proportions on a unicorn sometime.

Photobucket

Holy Yak Attack!

Photobucket

Because there is nothing more bad ass than Mickey Mouse.

Photobucket

Rare and lovely sight: Tree Of Life at night.

Photobucket

Ibises roosting near the bridge.

Photobucket

Back at YBC. Watched Illuminations from the bridge to the Boardwalk for a change of pace.

Lying down after a whole day at Animal Kingdom. Ow... My most of me...
March 6

Greeting a new day at Walt Disney World. Rest assured, fellow Art Evolved -kateers, my dreams were haunted by Dinoland and it's cast.

I should probably elaborate on that story, huh? Here is a brief play recreating the scene.

EXTERIOR: Flamingo enclosure, Dinoland USA, Animal Kingdom, Walt Disney World

CAST MEMBER enters, holding a giant feather. MOM and KID look on.

TRISH: "LOL, did you get that giant feather off a T. Rex?"

There is a tense pause...

CAST MEMBER: "You *believe* dinosaurs had feathers?"

TRISH: (Tenses as *believe* in this context is usually a red flag. Stupidly, instead of just pointing at the birds, she says...)

TRISH: "In the same sense that I *believe* in gravity or that we live on a spherical planet, yeah."

CAST MEMBER: (Turns to MOM) "SOME people *believe* dinosaurs had feathers!"

MOM and CAST MEMBER share a chuckle. KID's mind, meanwhile, is blown.

TRISH, sensing that any more arguing about this can only become less fun than arguing with a Twilight fan, leaves, defeated.

She goes an weeps quietly along with the hoards of crying children at the exit for It's Tough To Be A Bug...

Anyway, saw a dude in a Purple Parrots team shirt in the elevator this morning. That relieved the sting a bit.

Photobucket

I WILL!!!

Just got back from Disney's Hollywood Studios. Was it just me or were there more screaming crying kids there than any other park so far?

Open letter to parents: Babies HATE theme parks! They are smaller than everything and have no idea WTF is going on!

Photobucket

That darn hat... (I told you my aunt's picture -seen below- was especially poignant. Now here's some good news from Keys to the Kingdom: This horrible thing is going to be moved to the Art of Animation Resort sometime this year!)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lights, Motor, Action! Starting the Cars from Cars, also some real actual stunt drivers maybe. (Lights, Motor, Action! was very good, but the whole long "Cars 2" part was just strange.)

Photobucket

Please be something good...

Photobucket

D'aaaaawww, Sweetums!

Photobucket

Really cute, subtle tribute to Jim Henson and co.

Photobucket

Welcome to our family time! / Welcome to our happy-to-be time! (We moved from the Yacht and Beach Club to Wilderness Lodge for the second half of our trip.)

Photobucket

I traveled thousands of miles to drink pints at an Irish pub yeah!

-----

Next time: Further adventures, lots more pictures, and I tell you what I can about Keys to the Kingdom.

3 comments:

raptor_044 said...

"Mickey and the gang as Reverse-Chestbursters or something...?"

I'm guessing they're trying to suck out our souls.

"Pooh and friends in shrubbery form"

Not another shrubbery!

"Sir, thank you for letting me follow you out of the park. Keep being the most awesome person ever."

How the heck does that hat work?

"Dude, you should be sh**ing yourself right now..."

Is it that the egret is eyeing that guy? Just making sure.

"As it happens, I got fewer uncomfortable laughs and more confused looks than I usually do when I shouted, "Oh, sh*t, it's a dinosaur!" in cases like this."

I'm surprised you can get away w/saying "Oh, sh*t" at a family theme park.

"Woahhh..."

Was the eagle carved into the tree or was it carved separately & then attached to the tree?

"Holy Yak Attack!"

What's in it? It looks delicious.

"Rest assured, fellow Art Evolved -kateers, my dreams were haunted by Dinoland and it's cast."

When you say "cast", do you mean WDW employees in costume or something else entirely? Just making sure.

"MOM and CAST MEMBER share a chuckle. KID's mind, meanwhile, is blown."

Sounds like what happens at HMNH when visitors find out how seahorses reproduce.

"I traveled thousands of miles to drink pints at an Irish pub yeah!"

Any river dancing?

-JD-man

Trish said...

Eh... very briefly, in answer to your questions: I'm guessing the lights have a little battery pack he was able to switch on and off; yes of course; I don't know, probably; every rum ever and slush; Cast Member = every WDW employee ever; if by "Riverdancing", you mean Irish step-dancing, yes.

raptor_044 said...

Thanks!

-JD-man