Friday, January 27, 2012

And now, Maurice Sendak and William Joyce being awesome.

The Academy Award nominees were announced a few days ago and there are a number of nice surprises. Two obscure international 2D animated films are nominated for Best Animated Feature, and William Joyce's heartwarming short, "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" is up for Best Animated Short. The short is available on YouTube and it will make a rainbow in your heart (much like last year's winner, "The Lost Thing", coincidentally -or not- also based on the work of a lavish children's book illustrator.)



And now that there is a rainbow in your heart, watch this discussion between Steven Colbert and Maurice Sendak. Do it. Because holy cow.

My new life's goal is to be in a position as an artist where I can say such things when I am very old and my fans will think me awesome for it.

-----

Art of the Day!

Happy Year of the Dragon!


212. Chinese New Year Fred