Thursday, November 24, 2011

Let's Give "Nickelodeon's Thanksgiving Fest" More Love!

Last year, on America's Annual Ritualistic Gorging on Hideously Human-Altered Theropods Day, I attempted to Live-Blog the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and... it didn't go over that well, so I ain't doin' it again. Ever. Maybe.

But I also shared this very strange and almost-totally-forgotten Holiday special appropriate for today: "Nickelodeon's Thanksgiving Fest/Extravaganza!" I think it needs it's own post, don't you?



If my foggy memory is correct, this was aired in 1989 and ran several times during Thanksgiving Day (making it seem like it went on for hours and hours). This special seems a little rushed in parts, especially in the beginning of "Thanksgiving Dream", but it showcases a nice variety of animation directors who made those wonderful Mtv networks bumpers.

I rather like the shorts by Joe Ahlbum more than the longer stories. Kevin Altieri's "Thanksgiving Nightmare" is kinda fun, but gives me a nasty "Capitol Critters" flashback, and Joe Pearson's aforementioned "Dream" is just... strange. It feels too much like one of those "sappy" episodes of "Animaniacs", like "A Gift of Gold". Highlights are the narrator acting like it is an unimaginable horror that the story takes place in a pre-Atari world (really) and a bad guy who inadvertently made Oogie Boogie and Clayface my crack pairing.

I hope we all have a lovely Thanksgiving and a wonderful holiday season. And since it is something of a tradition around here:

"Fun in the Backyard!" - Episode 21, Epilogue