Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Florida Trip and Birthday Hangover - Hence, Links of Interest!

Owww... my thing that was my brain but is now leaking out my ears.

Yes, I will admit that I partied a little too hearty. Or hard-y? Anyway, it will take me a while to sort through everything from the trip and write about it at length.

I also had the bad luck to catch something unpleasant from one of the little bratty kids sitting behind me on the plane ride home. (I like kids, but when I am queen, the first new rule will be that airplanes must have special Adults With Young Children and Adults Without Young Children sections. Everyone will be happier because, as a very general rule, little kids *hate* sitting in a tin can, far above the world for hours and hours.)


So in lieu of actual content, here is yet another edition of
Links Of Interest!

The most interesting thing going on in the paleoart community is Gregory S. Paul's reaction to (boo, hiss) art thieves. It's understandable, since he's clearly very upset, but also... maybe a little extreme.

The Smithsonian Wild website has recently launched and it is fascinating. Makes me want to set up automated cameras in my backyard.

The Disney Parks Blog shared remarkable footage of the creation of a particularly elaborate Audio-Animatronic character.

O.T.I.S. visited the LaBrea Tar Pits, without a doubt my favorite thing in Los Angeles.

"Rango" is apparently much better than it looks, but it is really, really strange. If you like animated films that are really strange, IndieWire has a pretty good list.

Finally, while we are on the subject of experimental and/or indie animation, Topless Robot had a fantastic overview of the dearly missed "Mtv's Liquid Television". I very definitely remember seeing some of these clips as a child and being freaked the eff out.

----

Sketch of the Day!

As you might imagine, it's a little difficult to sketch from a moving vehicle. Nonetheless, I wouldn't give up this sight for all the Audio-Animatronic Yetis in the world:

3.7.11 - Disney's Animal Kingdom sketches