Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sad News: RIP Satoshi Kon

I didn't want to say anything about this until it was confirmed, but the animation world has just suffered a tragic loss. Satoshi Kon passed away yesterday after suffering a long battle with cancer. There is an excellent tribute here and a fine review of "Millennium Actress" (which has shot to the top of my Netflix queue without hesitation as I haven't seen it yet) at the Onion AV Club, part of it's way-too-brief New Cult Canon animation month.

It's very sad when you are just starting to appreciate an artist, whether they be a director, a musician, or what have you, only to realize that there's going to be nothing more to come from them. "Tokyo Godfathers" was great fun and "Paprika" reminded me why I fell in love with animation in the first place. So raise a pint to Kon and rent "Godfathers" on my recommendation. Honestly, if you don't enjoy even one minute of that film, I owe you a beer.