Monday, August 23, 2010

Don Bluth Month: Insane Troll Logic. Thoughts on "A Troll in Central Park"

I dreaded this film. I knew I was eventually going to have to get to it, and I anticipated it like an appointment to get a cavity filled. I remembered seeing the trailer for this thing years ago and... let's just say it didn't inspire confidence. "The Pebble and the Penguin" was irredeemable, so how could this possibly be any good?

Well...

It's not amazing. Some would even say it's not very good at all. But, in my mind, at least it's better than both "Penguin" and "Thumbelina". I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It wasn't awesome, but it was better than I feared it would be.

Chief among the reasons is that the good old Bluthy crazy-ass moon logic is back in full swing. On that note (let's just get this out of the way) I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed the movie twice as much if I had watched it under... certain circumstances. (The plot involves a Fairy creature and his magical plants hanging out in a city park. Don't blame me!)

The animation crew is back from the half-assedness of "Penguin" and the old lush Don Bluth style is back in full force. This is, by far, the best kid's film about two annoying children flying around in a dream boat with a gardening troll I will ever see.

All I can really say is this: If I had any sculpting skill, I'd kinda want to make a little fiberglass Stanley for my garden. D'awww.

Now, don't get me wrong. If I hadn't seen such a bad movie immediately before this, I very likely wouldn't have liked "Troll" as much. Main reason for this being that I am not a four-year-old. Don Bluth fans who were old enough to remember the promise of "N.I.M.H." were on their knees at this point. Would our devotion ever be justified? Would we ever see a good movie out of the Bluth studio ever again?

And then, we saw this here teaser trailer...



----

Art of the Day!

Gettin' there...

7.2.10 - Mamenchisaurus progress 3

-----

Announcement:

I am having a huge summer blowout sale on Ebay, so somebody please go and give those old toys and books and stuff a good home!