Friday, April 16, 2010

Reasons Why the New "Clash of the Titans" Bothers Me.

I have not seen the new "Clash of the Titans". I will admit this up front. Honestly, I don't really want to see the new "Clash of the Titans". But this stupid movie has inadvertently brought up some things that bother me:

1) It turns out some people will take any CGI, even the not-so-good CGI in "Clash", over the Ray Harryhausen stop-motion in the original. This makes me unspeakably sad. So I went to the library and got this to read:
Yay Harryhausen
(This is a big, huge book I've salivated over for a while, so I was elated that they had it. I'll review it soon.)


2) The 3-D in "Clash" was added as an afterthought. This fact has been wildly reported. It was thought that people wouldn't pay extra for crappy 3-D... but guess what?

Oi

3)
This plot point. (Deftly illustrated by the wonderful Coelasquid [naughty language warning], who has done an entire series of comics based of ridiculous things in "Clash".)

4) But I think the thing that bugs me more than anything about this remake of "Clash of the Titans" is this: Of all the things they changed from the original "Clash of the Titans", couldn't they have swapped the Kraken out for, I dunno,
some scary sea monster out of ***GREEK*** Mythology?!? It isn't like they don't have a surplus of them.

In other movies I have no interest in seeing news, I am sincerely disappointed that the movie entitled "Furry Vengeance" is NOT about "Secret of N.I.M.H." fans out for justice, as the title would suggest. Because I would watch the hell out of that movie and so would you. Admit it.

----

Sketch of the day! How about some happy after all that uncharacteristic vitriol.

4.11.10 - Sketchbook Page 2
Yaaaaaaay!!!

3 comments:

Brian Blacknick said...

Wasn't RH An Animated Life a great book? My wife surprised me with a copy as a gift.

You make a good point about audiences preferring bad CGI vs stop motion animation. Sad indeed!

It also annoys me when people call stop mo "claymation" or refer to it as dated.

Brian Blacknick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trish said...

^^ You've pointed out one of my favorite points of contention (and by "contention", I mean "admittedly sorta pointless Nerd Rage"): If Will Vinton didn't have anything to do with it, it isn't Claymation. Why is it so hard for Non-Animation_Fan people to get that?

Incidentally, the "I will review it soon" line in this post is increasingly embarrassing to me. The print is *so* small and I've been majorly sidetracked lately. And it's due back to the Library very soon... <:/