Friday, February 5, 2010

What kind of Phylomon are you? How do you do the things you do?

Phylomon ACEOs as of 1.27.10
I've recently involved myself in a project that is so far helping me fulfill two New Year's resolutions (how I hate those): Fill a Sketchbook page every day and get in on this ACEO thing. That project is "Phylomon".
Essentially, this is an open-source free-for-all good-for-your-children trading-card game I can sum up in one phrase: "Pokemon" with real species. The website better explains the basis behind the concept.
My one little caveat is this: I put the "kids these days don't know biodiversity from a hole in the ground" blame on standardized testing; "Pokemon" is largely innocent here (seriously, where else can you befriend parasitic fungi and Monkey Cups?) The tests put so much emphasis on arithmetic (that is, math problems with
one right answer) and reading comprehension (ie, you can tell me that Jack fell down the hill first but keep your opinions about the story to yourself because we can't grade those with the system we use). Science falls by the wayside under this system. I could go on and on about this but you really only need to know that the MCAS is the reason why I am not working in a classroom right now.

Aaaaanyway, the Phylomon project is constantly looking for submissions and I've been having a great deal of fun with it so far. I'm also periodically selling the ACEOs on Ebay, so check my seller page.
----
Feederwatch Friday! How's this for biodiversity?
Red-tailed Hawk 2 (Coooooool!)
Rock Pigeon 4
Mourning Dove 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 1
Black-capped Chickadee 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
American Robin 1
European Starling 1
Northern Cardinal 1
House Finch 1
House Sparrow 20

----
And this has absolutely nothing to do with anything but it's too fun not to share.