Thursday, February 25, 2010

Travel Sketchbooks

It's been a while since I wrote a post about Sketchbooks, hasn't it? I figure I owe you a post about arty stuff, dear reader, after those last two ranty, only-obliquely-art-related posts.
Of course, there was a prompt for this one. I recently got this little fellow in the mail from the wonderful, if strangely-named,
Dick Blick art supply catalog:


You may recall from a much earlier Sketchbook-related post that I first saw this brand of Sketchbook at the Massachusetts College of Art store. This is an
Art Supply Enterprises Pen and Ink Watercolor Book (an Art Alternatives Watercolor Book according to the Blick catalog). As you can see, it looks like another lowfat Moleskine alternative, especially with it's rubber-band closure, it's (maybe) fake leather cover, and it's hilarious wrap-around dust jacket thingy:
"Embrace the Immediacy of Watercolor...
and bathe your sketches in color!"


With the help of my handsome assistant*, you can see that this little book looks like a Watercolor Moleskine on the inside as well, and even sports a pocket. The only difference -and this is a bit of a disappointment for me- is that the pages are perforated. Maybe there are people out there who like the option of removing pages out of their
Sketchbook, but I am not one of them.
* - My Oviraptor mascot needs a name!

So the only thing left to do is personalize this little fellow:



Obviously, this is the
Sketchbook I'm taking to Florida with me in a few weeks. I usually go small when choosing a travel Sketchbook. It should be able to fit inside a fanny pack. This little guy could fit in a pocket if it had to!
----

Now, I know making fun of Twilight is like shooting fish in a barrel at this point, but I recently got an issue of a magazine that had a special preview of the Twilight comic book. And as somebody who went through four years of art school, I can't let this pass without comment. (Illustrations by Young Kim. I can't find much about him online, so hopefully he was hampered by the source material -I know all too intimately what that's like- and this is not indicative of what he can do.)

Ladies and gentlemen, the many expressions of Mr. E. Cullen:



Bonus: Here is Bella scared out of her mind:



Yeah.

----

Feederwatch Thursday!
Not much goin' on this week. To be fair, the rain/snow hadn't started yet really and I only had the suet feeder full.
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Sparrow 15

----

Sketch of the Day!
I've been editing some more older pieces for DeviantArt this week, so I haven't had the time to upload anything new at the time of writing. Here are some dragons:
2.16.10 Sketchbook page