Friday, February 12, 2010

2010 Great Backyard Bird Count Live-Blogging part the first!

The Great Backyard Bird Count is here! The (second or third) most wonderful time of the year! There's still time to join in (hence the really early post). I will pop in every so often this weekend to make note of what I've seen, maybe share some field sketches.
----
Friday, 2/12/10 - Feederwatch Friday First:
Downy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
European Starling 1
House Sparrow 15

Now for watching the feeders on Friday. Hopefully this isn't too confusing.

11:17 AM - Three Chickadees and a small flock of House Sparrows. I'm going to set up near the window that overlooks the feeders and finish some Photoshoppery today, so you will get to enjoy my lacking the ability to type understandably on a laptop when I come and check in.

1:42 PM - Set up near the window. Counted twenty sparrows, two nuthatches, two woodpeckers, and two pigeons. Heard a flock of crows but didn't see them; will count when they come home to roost.

3:00 PM - Haven't seen many birds since the last update, but I painted a baby dragon:
93. Fanuilh
Awww...

4:00 PM - About to take a mental health break from painting. Starting to get dark out. No new birds. Painted another dragon though.
Falkor is my Homeboy
In the new adaptation of Michael Ende's "The Neverending Story", the part of Falkor will be played by Jeff Bridges. :)

6:00 PM - Final tally for today:
Three Black-capped Chickadees
Twenty House Sparrows
Two White-breasted Nuthatches
Two Downy Woodpeckers
Two Domestic Rock Doves (Pigeons, whatever)
Eighteen Crows! (Big flock that, as predicted, flew home to roost.)
Not bad biodiversity for just from my window. It's now dusk, so I'll pick this up tomorrow. There is still time to participate!
----
2/13/10 - Saturday
11:25 AM - I can add two Blue Jays to my tally. Also, I saw the male and female woodpeckers feeding together at the suet. Awww...

1:45 PM - I might have spotted a Sharp-Shinned Hawk a minute ago but, sadly, it flew too fast for me to verify. Here's that Fairy Dragon all finished. Had some fun with different brushes.
2.11.10 - Fairy Dragon

7:00 PM - So the only new species I can record today are:
Two Blue Jays
One Cardinal
Aside from them, the same birds from yesterday showed up again. But in the meantime, look what I made (finally):
2.11.10 Squee the Chickadee character sheet
As this post is getting a little unreasonably long, I will start a new one for Sunday-Monday.