Friday, November 27, 2009

Let us not forget the true meaning of Thanksgiving.

"Fun in the Backyard!" - Episode 21, Epilogue

---- 

It's funny how food-centric this holiday season really isI stopped at CVS on the way home and was delighted to find that Archway Gingerbread Men are back! For some reason, I remember these little gingermans were a favorite Christmastime snack and I hadn't seen them in a long time. I also seem to recall that they used to have about as much icing on them as that paragon of mass-marketed cookie, the Iced Animal Cracker. Oh well. Something finally something occurred to me while I was eating one of these cookies. Maybe you've wondered this too. They're always Gingerbread *Men*. You hardly ever see gingerbread cookies baked in any other shapes. So who in the world decided to anthropomorphise gingerbread?
Well, anyway, it's just nice to have them to accompany a mug of cocoa with a wonderful Christmas Tree Peep floating within (I am to understand that the Christmas Peeps that are flavored as stuff are the real finds but these are good too [note: this is before I knew about Cocoa Cats]) and the customary airing of Charlie Brown.
----
As a fun Black Friday bonus, here's a "Q-Bert" Thanksgiving special. The 1980's was a magical time when you could make a cartoon about anything, but I had no idea that there was a "Q-Bert" Thanksgiving special. Here is an abridged version, care of
The Retroist:

And speaking of YouTube joy, I can't believe I failed to link to this earlier:

----
Feederwatch Friday!
I am thankful for having a lot of biodiversity in my backyard.
Rock Pigeon - 9
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Blue Jay - 1
American Crow - 4
Black-capped Chickadee - 3
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1
House Finch - 3 (Haven't seen these guys in a while.)
House Sparrow - 25

In addition, I had a flock of about thirty Starlings descend upon my lawn for about as long as it took to count them, a pair of Blue Jays, and a male Cardinal who quickly established himself as King of the backyard. All on non-count-days.
----