Friday, November 20, 2009

It's almost Thanksgiving, so let's chew on "Food Fight"!

I have a talent for running into weird animation-related ephemera and stuff. Stuff like, oh, this:



This made me stop in my tracks. I seemed to recall Cartoon Brew bemoaning the existence of a movie by this title. I checked their archives and yes, they were discussing a film entitled "Food Fight".

In 2005.

There's a more recent discussion in early 2007. There is an IMDB page, optimistically saying the film was (or will be) released in 2009. And there is an Official Website, consisting of some phenomenally ugly art*. So apparently this thing is real. Whether it ever got past the book that makes noise stage is a mystery.

I didn't want to pay the five bucks at Mardens for this book just to find out what the hell was going on here. (More to the point, I don't want to become one of those Ebayers who buys things just to sell them on Ebay.)

* - The character designs on the cover may range from strange to bland, but I kinda like them. They have that "Ferngully"-ish "We like Disney a lot but we also want to make our characters a little stranger to be different" approach. (And the fact that there is a film out there that involves a scary CatGirl, a dead-effin'-serious looking moose, Chilly Willy, and D.J. Scatcat intrigues me.)
But the final film, according to the art in the website, will be incredibly cheap-looking, badly-rendered, sub-SciFi Channel made-for-TV-movie quality CGI. *sigh...*

Update: I did a double-take at this Cartoon Brew post. Seems "Food Fight" books are popping up elsewhere too.

Update on that last Update: The story just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

----
Feederwatch Friday!!!
First entry of the season and, uh, NMH:
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Blue Jay - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 3 (Actually, this was kind of interesting as Chickadees usually show up in pairs.)
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Northern Cardinal - 1
House Sparrow - 50
And there was a trio of squirrels, of course, but we don't count them.

----
Oh my God, tomorrow is SKETCHCRAWL! I might actually get some people together and actually do it right this year! To Facebook!

----
I've been getting into the Thanksgiving spirit by watching the video clips included in X-Entertainment's truly epic recaps of Macy's Parades of the past. They are all linked in this blog entry; they take about an hour each to read but it's worth it.

It's really hard to pick out one favorite moment from these incredible clips, but I will say this: when I woke up this morning, I was not aware that the Cabbage Patch Kids line had a mythos as elaborate as any self-respecting 80's toy. With heroes and villains and a (deeply unsettling) origin story and a larger-than-life folklore hero a la John Henry or Paul Bunyan. Now I know, and my life is all the more enriched for it.

I also recommend Strongbad's Thanksgiving. And there is a new review of "La Planet Sauvage" at The Realm , because nothing says Thanksgiving like a movie that resembles what you see after trying every kind of drug there is at once.