Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Boston Comicon 2011 - Costumes!

Photobucket

Somewhere along the line, our humble little area comic convention has become more of a Thing. I've been to Boston Comicon the past four years in a row and each year it seems to be bigger and bigger. Now maybe this is because the show is becoming more and more popular over the years, or maybe because it's being held in increasingly large venues. This year, the show was held in the enormous Hynes Convention Center.

Photobucket

I'm hardly complaining though. More room means there's more space for a wider variety of artists, vendors, and exhibitors.

Photobucket

So here's my setup at the Comicbook Artists' Guild table. We were kind of off to the side, but still in a fairly high-traffic area; a great spot for thrusting your business cards and membership forms in front of people and a terrific spot for people-watching.

Which leads us to the thrust of this post: all the amazing costumes!

Photobucket

This year, the 'con had a costume contest, and I don't know if they've ever done that before. In any case, the costumes this year were especially fantastic. There was no getting into the contest once it started, sadly, and the BCC website hasn't listed the winners yet, but I'll bet Link walked away with something.

Photobucket

I'm hoping this Ewok got something for her troubles too. I couldn't get her attention in time to get a nicer picture, but as you can see, wearing that costume took ovaries of steel. I salute thee, Ewok girl.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think we may have convinced both Deadpool and Bob Parr here to join the CAG. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Photobucket

Batgirl and Carrie Kelly!Robin...

Photobucket

...hot on the trail of Harley and Ivy, it seems.

Photobucket

Mr. Miracle and Big Barda get my pick for cutest couple this year. Awww...

Photobucket

I was suddenly sad that I had no prints for sale of kangaroos when Tank Girl showed up.

Photobucket

B.A. Baracus was, by far, the most popular of all the costumed characters. I'm willing to bet he had a good Mother's Day too.

That's all for now. Cartoonist Tom Preston has more pictures if you're interested. How in the world did I miss the dude in the Power Loader-ish mech suit?!?

----

Sketch of the Day!

Silly and hastily drawn observations from the 'con.

4.30-5.1.11: B.C.C. Sketchbook page montage

No comments: